Thursday, May 1, 2008

Remote Desktop at your Ubuntu from your Windows and versa

Remote Desktop is a great service offered by most operating systems, many times we used it at our work for example when the network administrator or the DB administrator needs to give you some privileges at the server while he is sitting at your machine

In all the past cases there was the same scenario where a Windows machine needs to remote access another Windows machine which is simple and needn't setup stuff

The problem here is that now I spend my time among my own apartment in which I can carry my portable PC there and my family apartment in which my desktop "shared resource" is sitting there . While I have to work with my stuff at my Ubuntu desktop PC?!

There are two available solutions for this conflict:

Solution # 1:Every time I go to my apartment I can carry my desktop (case + monitor + table + chair) ... great.. isn't it? but this may explode other problems
Solution # 2:Is to access my Ubuntu desktop remotely with only one click and LAN connection between us ... very interesting ... isn't it?

So to summarize solution # 2

To configure Remote Desktop at your Ubuntu

You need to go to System -> Preferences -> Remote Desktop and check options there for sharing and security


To connect from Windows machine

You need to install vncviewer and simply run it to access your Ubuntu

Enjoy Remoting @ Linux :)


You may ask how can i do the reverse operation of connecting to your Windows machine from your Linux?

The steps is very easy to connect remotely @ your Windows OS from your Ubuntu:

To configure Remote Desktop at your Windows

1- Install TigntVNC Server then run it and assign the client connection password

To connect from Ubuntu machine

2 -Open Applications -> Internet -> Terminal Server Client and connect using Computer, Protocol, User Name fields

3- Then you will be notified to enter the client password set in step 1

Enjoy Remoting @ Vista :)

For more information you can follow these links:

Share your Ubuntu Desktop Using Remote Desktop

TightVNC downloads

3 comments:

Roaa Mohammed said...

Interesting topic... Thanks for sharing... but I have a question, are you connecting over LAN or over internet??
(if internet, then how you keep a static IP?)
Thanks,

Mahmoud said...

Thanks for ur comment Roaa

Concerning your question ...
It's through LAN But I think that most of internet remoting use services like LogMeIn
Actually I'm using virtual IP but to my info you can get a static IP from the ISP like TEData and Karim Emara may know more info so we may ask him

Roaa Mohammed said...

Thanks for the reply & the info..